Monday, June 13, 2011

Why hello there Cowtown!

Wow…what a past couple of months it has been! From being crazy busy completing scholarship applications and preparing to graduate, it’s all finally over! I can breathe!! Regretfully I haven’t had the time to just sit down and share my past queen travels. I can’t believe I’ve been so unbelievably busy since January but now I want to share everything I’ve gone through as queen.







After Denver I excitingly got to come to the stockyards in Fort Worth, Texas to the Southwestern Exposition Livestock Show. As crazy as it is, this show is where my family decided that the Hereford breed was what we were going to show, so this show is very near and dear to my family’s heart! First off was the Fort Worth Junior Livestock Show. It was filled with seeing old friends, working sifts, meetings, and of course working in the show ring. I had the honor of working with ALL of Texas’s royalty, which is no small number. The show went by quickly and successfully for all of the winners. It was a blast getting to spend time with all of the juniors from the Texas Hereford/Polled Hereford Associations and my friends that show other breeds as well, but I was anxious for the Fort Worth Open Show to come at me in full throttle!

This is a picture with the sponsors of the Grand and Reserve Champion for the Hereford show. They have sponsored this prize for many years and it has become a tradition with their family.

This is a picture of my older and younger sisters, Audrey and Ilissa, and my ag teacher Mrs. Sue Witt. Mrs. Witt has been one of my biggest supporters in just about ANYTHING that I have done!


Less than a week later, the Fort Worth Open Show had arrived! I was surrounded by some of the greatest Hereford breeders in our nation, what a weekend this was going to be! I left directly after school on Friday with my mother and little sister, Audrey, to head up to the stockyards of Fort Worth. Once we arrived in Fort Worth I was greeted by my older sister, Ilissa, and my best friend Brittany. I normally bring a friend every year to the open show, especially my best friends that show Angus, Mollie and Brittany. They have seen the fun side of the Hereford breed and I hope they love it as much as I do. Brittany didn’t know the unbelievably hectic weekend she had ahead of her as being the queen’s assistant, but I will add she did a fantastic job and was very, very helpful with…. EVERYTHING! Saturday morning was full of pen shows and meetings and the night was meetings and socials. At the shows, Anderson Bean had helped create a pair of custom made boots for the grand and reserve champions. It was a pretty nifty gift! The picture beneath this is of my little sister, Audrey, my best friend Brittany, and I with the custom made boots that was a prize. The meetings and socials were a ton of fun; I loved having the time to just sit down and talk with people and not being in a rush. This social was especially special for me, seeing as my father was the Texas Hereford President this year! On Sunday we had our pen show, annual sale, and another social. It was a very hectic day with everyone running back and forth to different locations. There is one thing I would like to share about the pen show… as I was giving an award for first place in a class to an older couple, the wife started jumping up and down screaming with joy, but later in the show they won Grand Champion in the pen show! The wife not only jumped with joy again but started crying with pure happiness. That moment that I was able to share with them completely warmed my heart. It made my whole weekend more enjoyable than ever! I have the picture of the couple beneath this:

Monday was the BIG show day! It was full of prizes and royalty and people of the Hereford association. Overall being National Queen at the Fort Worth Open Show was a lot more than I expected it to be. There were so many outfit changes and many distances walked in my lovely white boots, but I couldn’t have done any of it without my family, Brittany, and my Hereford friends that weekend!


This picture is of my family and friends that are basically my family for the Fort Worth Open Show weekend! Left to right: My mother, Alise, Ashley (my sister's best friend), Ilissa (my sister), ME, Brittany (my best friend), my father, Scott, and my little sister Audrey!



No comments:

Post a Comment